GOLD CARATS EXPLAINED
9 carat gold
has 37.5% pure gold; it is the most affordable form of gold jewellery and portrays a light yellow hue. Its higher percentage of other metals, makes it stronger and more durable and particularly suited to the creation of jewellery.
14 carat gold
has about 58.5% pure gold and has a warm yellow hue.
18 carat gold
contains 75% gold, with the rest made up of other more durable metal alloys used to add colour and strength.
24 carat gold
is the ultimate gold carat – it doesn't go any higher than this. It's the purest form and consists of 99.9% gold. It is naturally yellow and highly valuable, but very soft and malleable, so it is not usually used to make fine jewellery or intricate objects.
METAL JEWELLERY HALLMARKS EXPLAINED
If a gold product contains the hallmark '375', or '9K' that means your gold is 9 karat – or 37.5 per cent pure. The remaining 62.5 per cent of the product is an alloy of different metals.
Silver hallmark '750' means 96.8% pure silver.
Items of minimum fineness, weighing less than the following does not require and often don't have a hallmark:
Gold weighing less than 1 gram
Silver, weighing less than 7.78 grams
REGULAR CLEANING TIPS
When worn regularly, your gold jewellery is exposed to skin oils, perspiration, dust, makeup, and more. To keep its shine, you should clean your Jewellery regularly with a solution of 10-parts warm water and 2-parts soap. A few extra tips:
- Soak your gold jewellery pieces and then scrub them gently with a very soft brush. Rinse under clean water and blot dry with a cloth.
- For an extra shine, use a jewellery polishing cloth after this. Do not use a paper towel or tissue as these can scratch your jewellery.
- Don't overdo it: Only clean your jewellery as needed when it’s visibly dirty.
HOW TO STORE YOUR GOLD JEWELRY
Do not store your hoops together with other jewellery or in particular textured gold earrings as gold hoop earrings as they can easily be scratched and tarnished easily. It is the best practise to keep your hoops in a pouch/ box provided.